In the past few weeks we have been responding to the stunning circumstances of Governor John Kasich supporting one of the top elements of Obamacare. While we have a list of complaints about John Kasich’s either tepid or total lack of leadership in many areas (i.e. right-to-work, pension reform, voter integrity, local tax reform, the crony Jobs Ohio, etc.), we are deeply dismayed by the governor’s recent proposal to voluntarily expand Medicaid in Ohio.
- This expansion advances the federal government takeover of healthcare in our state.
- It puts even more of the state budget into the hands of the whim and will of the federal government.
- It forces disadvantaged Ohioans into a poorly performing and fraud ridden program.
- It relies on funds that are not “ours” but that come from the entitlement pipeline bankrupting our nation and immorally saddling future generations with debt.
- Adding insult to injury, not only is this a violation of every principle for which we stand, it is a slap in the face to the volunteers who dedicated countless hours collecting over 440,000 signatures for the Healthcare Freedom Amendment.
We are joined in our opposition to the governor’s Medicaid proposal by groups such as Cato, The Heritage Foundation, The Galen Institute, Opportunity Ohio, The Buckeye Institute, FreedomWorks, Americans for Prosperity, and a plethora of Republican governors and legislators in other states, including Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker.
The purpose of this message, however, is to offer some positive words of encouragement and support. We extend our deepest regards and respects to those state reps that are feeling trapped in the middle of this fight. These reps should know that these circumstances are not of their making. We implore you to take courage! Our close watch of these events gives you an opportunity to shine and embrace the principles that motivated you to get involved with government service in the first place.
This is the moment to stand strong. The reps that do will have earned the right to our enthusiastic support in both the coming primary and general elections. We who make the phone calls, knock on doors, donate, and work at elections – are watching what is happening very closely. Instead of a risk, see this as an opportunity! Make us proud. Stand up to more government, debt, dependency, and cronyism. We will not soon forget that you did. We will have your back.
This can be one of Ohio’s finest hours. To the representatives that protect the freedom and prosperity of Ohioans, we will be with you all the way.
Yours in Liberty,
Ohio Liberty Coalition
“All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke